Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sowing

Since moving to Texas I have decided to get a green thumb. Now mind you that my thumb has always been brown and a tendency to lean to the black. I kill plants. I killed a cactus. I took the advice of some columnist and only watered it when it rained in the desert of Arizona. Yet it still died. I used to say that it was amazing that my kid and my dog have lived this long. Cam said that it was because he learned how to feed himself.

Last year I tried my hand at planting some herbs, peppers (jalapenos, green bell and red bell) and tomatoes. The herbs did great. All except for the dill...it did not take. The Jalapenos went crazy. They did not stop coming. I had crop after crop after crop. I made stuffed jalapenos, hot sauce and a lot of salsa. However my green and red peppers were a bust and the tomatoes did OK and I started to have a really good bunch until the worms got to them.

So this year I decided to try again. Today I started my seeds. They make these really great thing called jiffy puffs. You add water and the grow to about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. They are filled with peat and you put 2 -3 seeds inside and cover it up. Then put the lid on it and it makes its own little green house. You add water when it needs it. And then wait for the seeds to start growing.

Since today is the first full day of spring I thought it would be a good day to plant. So I did. And in a few weeks there will be little signs of life. And it will be beautiful. And I will do my best this year not to kill them. I will try very hard to help them grow and flourish.

It is the greatest feeling though when you do all the work and get the rewards of the fruit of your labor (or in this case veggies and herbs). It gives me a sense of accomplishment. I love growing my plants. I love sharing them with everyone.

So I sowed the seeds today and I await to reap the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment