Monday, January 18, 2010

Wildlife

So today I was looking out of my window and saw a woodpecker on the tree. Now this was a Woody Woodpecker Woodpecker. He was beautiful. See them in the winter and early spring. The stop by to say hi on their migration south for the winter.

Living in the middle of no where you see all sorts of wild things. It is kinda cool and I love it. My favorite is my owl...and yes he is my owl. He is a great horned owl and comes to my property in the spring but I hear him sometime early in the morning in the winter. My son said "Mom you cannot own the owl he is not yours." well yeah but I love that owl and I love listening to him and I think he comes to the trees in the back yard to serenade me...lol. And yes he serenades me..Hoots and flies overhead. He is beautiful.

The other great birds of prey I see are Hawks and Bald Eagles. They fly over with full wing span and cast shadows down below it it very impressive. But there are egrets, pelicans, cranes, blue jays (plus other jays), cardinals and so so many more.

But those are just the birds. The hill that I live on used to be called fox ridge...and you should know that it does live up to its name. There is a fox (or maybe there are more) that comes by every now and then, Deer of course. Coyotes. And believe it or not I actually saw a Bobcat. Now I have heard rummer that there is a black panther in the are and also a bear. But I have not seen them.

Now, I have heard a boar. I have not seen them but I have definitely heard them. I was working late and it was really dark out and I head it squealing.

I have no neighbors and a lot of woods so it is ideal for seeing all kinds of wildlife.

Now on Saturday night the wildlife gets a little wilder. There is a new place in town called the Pickin' Palace. Of course I live in a dry town so of course they do not server alcohol but you can BYOB. They have a live band and you BYOB. And things seem to get a little fun the later the night gets the more fun it gets. Always have had a great time going there on Saturdays...might have to go out this Saturday to see the wildlife in action again.

No comments:

Post a Comment